Thursday, September 11, 2008

On With the Groovy Revolution, Night One!

Here we are, opening night at last! I feel a mixture of excitement and apprehension as we get closer and closer to go time. I really just wanted to post something before the roller coaster ride starts. I thought that once we were out of rehearsal, the hard part was done. I realize now, looking back, that it has only just begun.

It has taken a lot of work and effort to create this experience, but it's going to be harder to share it night after night. I mean, this show is DRAINING! Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally. In order for it to be a real, true experience for the audience, it has to be real and true for us. Scott explained to us early on that we really shouldn't look like actors acting. We have to be a real tribe, and be genuine. I have found that in striving to achieve this, I am completely exhausted at the end of the evening.

But I am not sorry for signing up for it. I can't wait to see how the audiences receive this -- it was hard for me to get a grip on what exactly we were doing, when we first started -- I think that this will be like a full sensory immersion into the culture of the 1960's. I really hope that tonight is the start of something wonderful and unforgettable. I am sure it will be. I'll check in with you later.

No comments: